PAGES

"My heart's so full I don't even need makeup."

Saturday, July 16, 2011

One of the children at the orphanage stole my camera and snapped this.

"My heart's so full I don't even need makeup." Quote by me, mid-week in Haiti.

Let me just tell you what a humbling experience it is to go to a foreign country, without all the comforts of home, work in the crazy heat, and not spend any time in front of the mirror. Some women are just natural beauties. I am not one of them. I'm not saying that so everyone will politely disagree, I'm just being honest. There are a lot of people who can go about their daily lives makeup free. Not me. I have a ton of imperfections and choose to cover them up with makeup. But in Haiti? You don't wear makeup. You hardly brush your hair. At least I didn't. A couple of the girls on our trip only showered one time in a week. Now, I didn't take it that far. I showered daily, but I certainly was not concerned with the way I looked, nor did I care what anyone else thought. And to be honest, it was kind of freeing. So, let me encourage you to take a day, weekend, or even a week in a foreign country, to go au naturel. It feels good.

No comments:

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger