PAGES

A different kind of thanks

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

This Thanksgiving while we are chowing down on turkey, rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, and an assortment of desserts, I want you to take just a minute and thank God for all you have. The every day things that most of us seem to take for granted. And while we're at it, let's continue to give thanks that we, as Americans, are in a position to help others--not just this time of year but all year long.

A wise man spoke to my group while we were in Haiti. He said, "Don't feel guilty for what you have when you walk around the streets of this impoverished city. Feel blessed. Feel grateful. And realize that each one of us is in a position to give back. In different capacities, but we're all called to give back."

I was sent this photo today from my friend, Manes, who lives in Haiti.



Here he is, standing in front of his "house" with his mom, brother, and two nieces, who all live there-along with his sister. His family wasn't fortunate enough to move into one of the temporary houses provided by Samaritan's Purse, like the one nextdoor. They made their shelter out of whatever they could find after the earthquake destroyed almost everything 22 months ago. And they are still there. He oftens complains about being tired and then I found out it has been raining constantly in Haiti and their house floods. So while we are home, tucked snug in our beds, he and his family are trying to get through the night without getting soaked.

I opened this picture today and I started to cry. I wish I could do more. My mom and I have been raising awareness and collecting money for him and sending it so he can attend the University and make something of himself. (We have to send money weekly for food and tap-tap a.k.a. taxi.) But I'll be honest, it's a struggle. And admittedly, not enough.We need help. His family needs help. If anyone is interested in donating to the "Manes Joseph Fund" please email me at: karlee05@hotmail.com.

And please remember to be thankful. Not just tomorrow but the whole year through.

Happy Thanksgiving,
from my family to yours:)

No comments:

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger