PAGES

crush-turned-husband

Friday, April 23, 2010

In participation with Kelly's Show Us Your Life Friday, here is the story of how Jake and I met:

I was a senior in high school, had never dated, never had a first kiss, and told my best friend that there was no one in our town I would date...except maybe Jake. He was a good friend of my older brother's, 5 years my senior, we had no mutual friends, had never hung out, or even had a long conversation. I simply thought he was gorgeous. I'm not even going to talk about the stalking we did!
He would say hi in passing, and was always really friendly, but showed no interest in me other than that. Afterall, I was "Dale's little sister." Much to my dismay, he began dating a girl I kind of knew. So, all hope was lost. After I graduated, I moved to Nashville, Tennessee, and almost forgot about Jake. Because there was no chance there, and I had other things on my mind.
My brother planned to come down with my mom and visit for a long weekend, over Mother's Day. I told him he should bring a friend along, so while we were doing girlie things, he would have someone to hang out with.
The next day, my mom called and said, "You will never guess who your brother's bringing."
"Who??"
"Jake!"
She obviously knew about my minor infatuation.
It would be the first time we ever really spent any time together, and he would be staying at my house for 3 nights! I was pretty excited.
So, the four of us had a great weekend. Jake and I discovered we had so many things in common, like our love for Johnny Cash and Stevie Wonder, our outlook on a lot of things, our very-obvious (to my brother, of course) physical attraction to one another. We danced our first dance together to "I Just Called to Say I Love You." Which happened to be sentimental to us both, and that night he hinted that he thought I should move back to Michigan.
My response? "Yeah, that's not going to happen."
So again, I pushed him from my mind as best I could.
A couple of months went by, with little contact, and then I went home for a visit. We hung out non-stop, I experienced my first kiss, and then again, it was over. Well, God has a funny way of working things out, because I moved back to Michigan that August, for reasons other than him.
We were official a couple of months later, engaged 2 1/2 years later, and married 7 months after that!

Our first photo together, Nashville '06




September 5th, 2009


2 comments:

Kate said...

What a cute story! You guys are adorable!

What took you to Nashville? I lived there most of my life (up until 2 years ago when I got married) and I really miss it!

Anonymous said...

You must have an amazing brother to allow his friend to date and marry you...I'm just saying! Love ya! Great story

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger